Isn’t travelling the best hobby we all have ? It gives us the opportunity to explore different places and experience new culture . It takes us beyond our capabilities and imagination .
For someone like me who loves to write and make art , keeping a journal by side ease me alot . Setting aside my phone and capturing the feeling onto pages is the miracle that can only be experienced.
What is Travel Journal ?
Travel Journal helps you document your journey , experiences and memories . They are the safest place to write your feelings , collect memories in form of pictures . They are the best fantasies one can own . You can plan your trips and write down itinerary . Travel Journals are the most common journals amongst other existing journals .
Many people considering travel journal for long trips or voyages but it doesn’t matter if its a 2 day trip to the nearest island . The whole point of travel journals is to document in different forms .
You can write about your learnings on the trip , important people you met , hotels you stayed at and food you ate etc .
Why use a Travel Journal ?
I had seen people planning their trips and making mess at the last minute . SO why being a messy person when you have leverage to plan you trips in your journal and freedom to carry around . Here are few things you can have in your travel journal while planning your trip:
- Budget : Plan your budget for the trip , make an expense tracker where you feel comfortable to write down your budget for everything you assume to spend your money at . Keep tracking the live expenditure while on trip and places where you can save money .
- Places to visit : Before you reach your final destination , make a list of places you would love to visit , famous architecture , food spots and cool people to meet etc . Researching about the place before you plan your trip can save alot of time and will let you know what exactly you are expecting from the trip .
- Travel Itinerary: This small step can save you from alot of travel hassle . Its good to have a plan instead of no plan . Despite all the research you had done , it’s important to put them together and delegate days to it . Making a plan on what you want to do on first day of your trip can give you directions and next steps for other days . A “GO TO” Travel itinerary is always a best option to have in your travel journal .
- Pre- travel to do list : We always have a huge list of things to complete before leaving for a trip . Washing off clothes , storing and cleaning food , washing dishes etc . You can make a complete list of things you need to complete so that you leave for trip with a fresh mind .
- Packing list : A humongous task when it comes to packing for your trip . The task of deciding what to carry and what not to . The great deal comes when we put things off to BUY list . I almost every time forget to pack things that I had bought specially for the trip . Having a packing list handy in my journal helps alot .
Meeting new people , visiting new places , learning new things are all a part of travel . Having the priceless moment with your loved ones or solo is something that deserves a revisit . Record your best time , your best moments in your journal so that you can revisit any time you want . You can write about your most weird experiences too .
Make your travel journals more interesting by adding pictures , voice notes , tickets , business cards etc . A hoarder person like me collects every single ticket and sticks them in journal . If you are more into art , you can replace pictures with drawings .Practicing urban sketching while travelling can bring a lot of joy crazy angle to your journals.
New Discoveries and Learnings
Writing a reflective story after your trip ends can give alot of insights about how your trip went vs what you thought ideally . You can write about how you dealt with problems that felt almost impossible to face , your challenges and experiences with places , how you grew as a person and what all you learnt about different culture and people .
Write about different facts of the places , a historical story and funny incidents on trip . There is so much you can write about your trip and take insights out of them .
What you can put in your Travel Journal?
You must be wondering what exactly i can put in my travel journal . Since there is not limit to it and every one has their own taste , here are few things that i like to put in my travel journal personally :
- Memory Tracking
- Expense tracker
- Savings page
- Donation Page
- Places to visit
- Making my travel partner write
- Story Time
- Things to do on a trip
- Lessons I learned during my trip
- Important contacts
- Hotel and reservations
- Travel itinerary
- Travel Roadmap
- Packing list
- Doodles and sketches
- Tickets and bills
- Business cards
- Pressed flowers and leaves
- Food labels and tissue paper
- Postage stamps
- Unique Currency and exchange rates
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to keep a separate journal for travel ?
It’s not necessary ! Travel Journals are your personal choice and they can make you feel more organized and in place . You can diy travel journal too .
If you want to record your memories else where and plan your trips on phone, its absolutely fine . Travel Journals should not feel as a burden but a medium to express .
What to write in a travel journal ?
There are alot of things you can write in your journal like an incident that you never want to forget , a good food that felt so good , a new mate you found at trip , conversations with random strangers , a scary story you heard about a place , songs that put you in good mood , ancient story of architectures , new culture explorations etc . There are ample of things to include , still if you feel you are bad at expressing , try writing a simple diary entry .
Some posts that might Interest you